Bhubaneswar: A major fire borke out in the dialyses department of Sum hospital here which reportedly has killed around 20 people and left around 105 injured.
Most of the deaths happened in the ICU and dialysis wards, as poisonous carbon monoxide fumes spread through AC ducts. Though investigations are not complete the DG of Fire Dept. Binay Behera said that most likely the cause was a short circuit.
The fire was first sighted by the dialysis in charge by 7.30 pm on Monday and it is said to have been reported to the maintenance department. SUM hospital staff tried to put off the fire using extinguishers before the fire brigade reached. “Those in the closed ICU could not be saved as the fumes filled in there very fast,” said Baby a nurse at Sum Hospital.
Friends and relatives attending patients carried them off their beds. “The doctors ran away, while the paramedical staff kept giving us false assurances that situation was under control,” said Jaswant Singh, whose Mother was admitted in the hospital.
As soon as the fire men reached, they broke in the windows to evacuate the patients through slings and skylift. 6 fire brigades worked for 3 hours to get control over the fire..
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik , State health secretary Arati Ahuja , a few volunteers of Smt. Nandini Satpathy Memorial Trust (SNSMT) visited the injured patients.
President of India Pranab Mukherjee expressed his grief via Twitter. Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences via twitter and communicated via the same that Minister JP Nadda & Minister Dharmendra Pradhan have been entrusted by him to look into the matter and help. On a Tweet request by eminent socio-political leader and Chairman of SNSMT Suparno Satpathy, the PM responded that AIIMS Bhubaneswar shall provide all possible support to the victims of Sum Hospital Fire Mishap.
SUM Hospital was founded in 2005 and is owned by education & media baron Manoj Ranjan Nayak. “The hospital officials have suspended three electricians. More action will follow” said Jyoti Ranjan Das the Dean of SUM.
Several victims of the fire are being treated at five hospitals including, Capital Hospital, AMRI & AIIMS. A control room has been set up and its help line number is 9439991226.
Deeply anguished by the loss of lives in the hospital fire in Odisha. The tragedy is mind-numbing. My thoughts are with bereaved families.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 17, 2016
— Dharmendra Pradhan (@dpradhanbjp) October 17, 2016
Shocking – Have just been told that the death toll in SUM Hospital fire misshap has reached 25 & they are still counting. God bless.
— Sh. Suparno Satpathy (@SuparnoSatpathy) October 17, 2016
I have spoken to Director, AIIMS Bhubaneswar to provide all necessary support and help the patients in the best way possible. @narendramodi
— Jagat Prakash Nadda (@JPNadda) October 17, 2016
My heart & prayers are with bereaved families & injured in the massive hospital fire in Bhubaneshwar hospital #PresidentMukherjee
— President of India (@RashtrapatiBhvn) October 18, 2016